Here's our Top 10 Tips for Buying Your 30A Beach House This Spring 2021
#1.) Get Mentally Prepared & On the Same Page With Your Spouse or Financial Partner.
Photo by Little Miss Creative Photography
- Big step #1 is a big one that will help the ship launch or keep it on the launchpad. Be sure to communicate well and make sure you're both on the same page when it comes to why, when, where, and how you'll buy your 30A beach home.
#2.) Establish Clear Communication with Your Live 30A Realtor (and have them on speed dial)
- Right now, the 30A real estate market is extremely active (hot) and properties move quickly. You'll want to be able to communicate with your Live 30A agent quickly and efficiently to let them know you're offer.
#3.) Get Your Finances in Order
- As important as any others, you'll need your finances in order to be able to get a property on 30A this Spring 2021. Go ahead and connect with a local lender (or one back home, but a local lender is preferred) and get a "pre-qualification" letter in your hands. You'll also want to move toward getting "pre-approved" for a loan. Many sellers are requiring a pre-qual/pre-approval letter or proof of funds letter if presenting a cash offer. The last thing anyone wants is to put a property under contract, only to find out you're unable to get financing.
#4.) Get to Know the hyper-local Market of 30A
- The 30A area as a whole is such a beautiful place, with distinct towns, each with their own personality and "feel". And just as different as each one of them are - they each present a "hyper-local" real estate market where each community is a little different with $ per square foot averages, days on market, construction quality, average age of home, lot sizes, amenities and more. Be sure to ask for the appropriate market data for your favorite communities.
#5.) Know What to Look For in a Great Home
- "Why" you're purchasing your 30A beach home is an important question, and the answer will determine what makes it a "great" choice for you. For example, if you're looking for a private beach retreat for you and your family, a home in Grayton Beach, Bannerman Beach, or even Watersound Beach may what you're looking for. If maximizing rental income and using the property a few times a year is your thing - a 30A home with five-or-more bedrooms and a pool is likely a better fit.
#6.) Learn How to Spot Potential
Love this home above? Contact Live 30A for this pre-market opportunity.
- When looking for homes online (which most people do), it can be easy to skip past the ones without the fancy interior design or the best photos. But if you have the eye and a little handiness (or a Realtor with great connections), you'll be rewarded in the long term if you can consider things like a functional layout, natural light, good "bones", lot size, and of course - location. Taking a home that's a little bland & making a few key designer updates can make a house a really cool home.
#7.) Know What Questions to Ask
While you're caught up in the excitement of thinking of more family vacations or diversifying your portfolio with a really cool house, there's plenty of questions along the way we'll help to answer. Here's a few you'll want to ask: What's the market like right now?, Can you show me the most recent comparable sales (comps) for this house? What's the market like right now - can you show me some data? Based on all that you know about what I am looking for, where do you think will be best for us? How much negotiation can I expect to happen?
#8.) Know What To Do in A Multiple Offer Situation to Win
Buying a home can be super exciting and sometimes... emotional. When great houses hit the market and lots of people love it, it's very likely that you may find yourself in a multiple offer situation even if you act quickly. In this situation, it's not the time and the place to put in lower offers or to ask the seller to make concessions - If you love the home, and it's a good fit for you and your family - now's the time to clean up your offer and give it your best. *Here's the key: Think about the big picture & value this specific home will be for your family.
#9.) Expect the Expected & Don't Waffle Out.
Finally owning your beach house on 30A = amazing. 30A is a special place for so many reasons, and the lifestyle, homes, community, etc. is incredible. Even so - purchasing real estate anywhere (even here) can be a little stressful. Expect a little stress to come along the way, and even a little doubt after you go under contract perhaps. That's ok - don't waffle out. A good thing to do during the process is to dream about all the ways this home can be a blessing to you and your family -- because most people don't primarily purchase beach houses solely for the rental income potential... it's about the family time, the never-to-be-forgotten memories, and finding a peaceful place at the beach.
#10.) Keep Your Mind on the Reward & The Things That Will Matter Most.
Photo by Little Miss Creative Photography
While you're searching or under contract on a home, there's plenty of milestones, papers to sign, reports to review, and deadlines to meet. While you're going through the process with us, keep your mind on the rewards of owning your own beach home on 30A -- extra vacations for family & lucky friends, beautiful memories with the ones you love the most, and creating a legacy.